Friday, February 20, 2009

Feb 20 - Slick Road


Feb 20 - Slick Road, originally uploaded by DamnBeavers.

We got some snowfall last night that was completely unexpected. The roads this morning were a little slick. I tend to see cars off the road around two times in the winter.

The first time is the first snowfall, drivers have forgotten what it is like to ride in the snow and take their minds off the road for a split second and wind up in a ditch the next moment.

The other time I see this is right towards the end of winter, like the last or next to last snowfall. Especially after we've had some very nice weather. Last week we had great weather, we had a weekend of 40's and 50's lead into a nice warm[er] week. I was able to get 90% of my driveway cleared, most of the ice had been chipped and/or melted away. Roads widened as the snowbanks melted. We all felt like it was spring. Then this morning, we were reminded that we live in New England.

A lot of us, myself included, didn't think anything of the snow until we saw this car off the road, then we paid a little more attention to the road. I want to thank this guy (or gal, there was no occupant when I pulled over) for reminding me that the roads were slick.

It's easy to make light of this situation now as I am from and was in Maine when I took this shot, the car had New Hampshire license plates, that state is so much further south, they have better weather ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment